Indian Cardamom Cookies
Tea time is very popular in India and crisp, sweet biscuits are served along with the sweet, milky masala chai.
Makes: 24Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 4 Tbsp. chilled clarified butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, and cardamom; mix well. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk; add to flour mixture. Stir until a soft dough forms. (The dough will be crumbly.) Pat it together into a ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and let it sit for about 20 minutes or until it is just workable. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap to about 1⁄4-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with a knife or a cookie cutter.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 5 to 8 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.