This condiment originated in Southeast Asia. It blends spicy, sweet, and tart flavors and is served with every meal in India as a condiment.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 50 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 large mangoes, peeled, pitted, and chopped in ¾" pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp. whole mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. red chili flakes
- Place a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sugar and vinegar and stir continually until the sugar dissolves. Lower the heat to the lowest setting.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. It should be syrupy and thick. Serve immediately (chutney can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 month).