Indian Curried Lentil Soup
Similar to a traditional Indian lentil dal recipe but with added vegetables to make it into an entrée, this lentil soup is perfect as is or paired with rice or some warmed Indian flatbread.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1 cup yellow or green lentils, uncooked
- 2¾ cups vegetable broth
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- In a large soup or stock pot, sauté the onion, carrot, and cloves in margarine until onions are just turning soft, about 3 minutes. Add cumin and turmeric and toast for 1 minute, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add lentils, vegetable broth, tomatoes, and salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 35–40 minutes, or until lentils are done.
- Season with black pepper and lemon juice just before serving.