Indian Mango Pickle (Aam Ka Achaar)
This is quite hot; reduce the amount of red chili powder to taste.
Makes: 1Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. onion seeds or wild fennel seeds
- 1 cup green mango, coarsely chopped (with peel)
- 2 Tbsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. asafetida
- 1 tsp. salt
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet. Add the mustard seeds and onion seeds. As soon as the seeds begin to sputter, remove from heat and cover the pan. Set aside.
- In a clean, dry jar, combine the mango, red chili powder, salt, asafetida, and the seasoned oil; mix together using a dry spoon.
- Store the jar, covered, in a warm place for 24 hours. Shake it intermittently to allow the spices to mix well. Refrigerate until needed.