Save to My Recipes
Serve this cornmeal pudding warm with vanilla ice cream for breakfast, dessert, or as a midnight snack.
Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 5 cups milk
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh if possible
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9" x 9" baking dish and set aside.
- Scald (heat to just under a boil—when steam starts to rise, reduce to low) 1 cup of the milk in a saucepan, add cornmeal, and stir over medium heat until it thickens. Remove from heat.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except the cream and 1 cup milk, to the cooked cornmeal. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the cream and 1 cup milk over the top of the mixture to prevent a skin from forming during baking.
- Bake uncovered for ½ hour. Stir the cream and milk on the top into the pudding; bake for ½ hour more.