Indian Rice Pudding (Kheer)
Kheer, creamy Indian rice pudding, can be served hot or cold. Serve garnished with slivered almonds, cashews, pistachios, or ground cinnamon.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup basmati rice, rinsed
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ tsp. saffron threads
- Add the whole milk and cream to a deep pan. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Stir constantly to prevent scorching.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the rice and mix well; cook for about 20 minutes or until the milk has reduced and you obtain a creamy custard like consistency. Stir frequently while cooking.
- Add the condensed milk and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Crush the saffron threads between your fingers, and add to the rice pudding.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot or cold. To serve cold, refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours before serving.