Indian-Spiced Black Bean Soup
You may substitute the black beans with any other kind of bean like pinto, red kidney beans, or even black-eyed peas.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 6 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. cumin, minced
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat; then sauté the bell peppers, onion, and garlic for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the sautéed vegetables, black beans, cumin, red chili powder, salt, and vegetable broth to a 4-quart slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Let the soup cool slightly; then pour half of it into a blender, process until smooth, and then pour it back into the pot.