Indian-Spiced Chickpeas with Spinach (Chana Masala)
This is a mild recipe, suitable for the whole family, but if you want to turn up the heat, toss in some fresh minced chilies or a hearty dash of cayenne pepper. It’s enjoyable as is for a side dish or piled on top of rice or another grain for a main meal.
Serves: 3Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, undrained
- ⅔ cup tomato paste
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- ¼ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 10 oz. fresh spinach
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in margarine until almost soft, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and add coriander and cumin. Toast the spices, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas with liquid in can, tomatoes, curry, turmeric, and salt and bring to a slow simmer. Allow to cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add lemon juice.
- Add spinach and stir to combine. Cook just until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.