Indian Spiced Flatbread
This easy-to-make bread elevates a simple weeknight dinner.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2⁄3 cup warm skim milk
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 5 tsp. active dry yeast
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground mustard
- 1⁄8 tsp. dried lemon peel, crushed
- 2 tsp. charnushka
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2⁄3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Spectrum Naturals Canola Spray Oil with Butter Flavor
- 2 tsp. black sesame seeds
- In a microwave-safe measuring cup, heat the milk until warm (15 to 20 seconds on high). Stir in the sugar and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes for the yeast to proof.
- Add the flour, baking powder, mustard, lemon peel, charnushka, and cumin to mixing bowl. Place a cover over the bowl and mix on low with the dough hook long enough to combine the ingredients. Add the milk-yeast mixture, oil, yogurt, and egg. Mix on low until the dough begins to form a ball and pull away from the sides of the bowl, then knead until the mixture becomes elastic. Cover and let the mixture rise until doubled.
- Place a heavy baking sheet in the oven; preheat oven to 475°F.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down, then knead the dough for about 1 minute. Divide into 6 equal pieces; cover with a damp cotton towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll each flatbread out to an oval shape, leaving the dough about 10 times the thickness of a tortilla or about half the height of a hamburger bun. (Keep the remaining dough covered with the towel.) Lightly spray the top of the flatbread with the spray oil and sprinkle 1⁄3 teaspoon sesame seeds over the top. Transfer to the baking pan. Bake for 3 minutes, until puffed, then place under the broiler until the top is lightly browned. Repeat with the remaining 5 segments. (If you prefer, you can bake the flatbreads 2 at a time.) The bread is best served warm, immediately after baking; however, it can be baked and then broiled later immediately before serving.