Individual Chicken Pot Pies
You can make one large pot pie if you like. Use a 10-inch deep-dish pie pan and a 9-inch pie crust. Bake it for 30 to 35 minutes, until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes
- 1 package (14.1 oz.) refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large saucepan, melt butter; add onion, cook and stir over medium heat until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add flour, salt, and pepper to saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and milk and stir; cook 5 to 6 minutes, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add thyme and chicken to mixture in saucepan. Cool mixture in refrigerator for 1 hour, and then stir in frozen vegetables and frozen potatoes. Pour gravy with chicken and vegetables into 4 ramekins.
- Cut 4 circles (5 inches in diameter) from the pie crust dough. Cover ramekins with pastry dough, crimp edges, and cut vent holes. Place filled ramekins on a large baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes until filling is bubbling in center and crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.