Individual Chicken Potpies
These individual pies are perfect for a party or anytime you want a little bowl of comfort.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp. poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1½ cups chicken stock, divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 sheet puff pastry, cut into 4 squares
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter until it foams. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper and cook for 3 minutes more, or until the herbs are fragrant. Add half of the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining chicken stock, flour, and sour cream until smooth. Slowly pour it into the simmering vegetables, whisking constantly, and cook until it begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the shredded chicken. Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the chicken mixture into 4 ramekins. Brush the edge of each bowl with the beaten egg and top with the pastry, letting the edges hang over the sides of the bowl. Brush the tops of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Place the dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pie is bubbling and the crust is golden brown and crisp. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.