Individual Chocolate Puddings
This old-fashioned dessert is delightful by itself, and wonderful in parfaits.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- ⅓ cup superfine sugar
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Whisk together the cream, ½ cup of the milk, and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat, and add the chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes and then whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining milk and cornstarch until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Bring the chocolate mixture to a simmer over a low heat, whisking continuously to prevent scorching. Whisk a third of the hot chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Return the remaining chocolate mixture to the heat and slowly whisk the egg mixture into it. Bring the pudding to a boil, whisking continuously as it thickens. Remove from the heat, whisk in the vanilla, and pour into individual serving dishes. To prevent a skin from forming on the top of the pudding, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top.
- Chill in refrigerator 2 hours before serving.