Individual Molten Lava Cakes
This warm, gooey cake has been popular in restaurants for years. Enjoy it a home with a dusting of confectioners' sugar for a special occasion.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 3.5 oz. dark chocolate
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 extra-large egg yolk
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat. Stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until the mixture is light yellow in color and the sugar is dissolved. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until combined. Sift in the flour, cocoa, and salt. Fold in with a spatula until combined.
- Spoon into 4 buttered 5-ounce ramekins, and tap on the table to settle any air bubbles. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the ramekins in a baking dish and add water to the dish until it is halfway up the sides. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then run a thin knife around the edge of the cakes and turn them out onto serving dishes.