Insalata Caprese (Tomato-Mozzarella Salad)
A caprese salad is so easy to make and always delicious. The caprese ingredients are also delicious as a sandwich tucked into rustic bread or as a topping for pizza.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large, ripe red tomatoes
- 2 balls (4 oz. each) fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup whole basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. high quality extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Slice each tomato into 4 thick slices, discarding the polar ends. Cut each mozzarella into 6 even slices. Shingle alternating tomato and mozzarella slices onto 4 plates, starting and ending with tomato slices.
- Garnish with basil leaves and drizzle olive oil over all. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.