Instant Pot Pulled Pork Tamales
These pork tamales are delicious and worth the extra effort. They make for a special appetizer or side that all your friends and family can enjoy.
Serves: 24Prep: 2 hoursCook: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Hard
- 1 package (8 oz.) dried corn husks
- 3 cups masa flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked pulled pork
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- Sour cream, to serve
- Salsa, to serve
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
- Place corn husks in a bowl of warm water. Soak for 1-2 hours, until softened and easy to fold.
- In a stand mixer, combine the flour, salt, cumin and baking powder. Add the oil and beat on low speed until combined. Gradually add the stock while beating. Beat on medium for 10 minutes, until fluffy. Cover with a damp paper towel and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, combine pulled pork, cheddar cheese, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion and enchilada sauce.
- Spread ¼ cup masa mixture into a square in the center of one corn husk. Add about 1½ tablespoon pulled pork mixture in the center of the masa mixture. Fold right, then left edge of husk over mixture. Fold up narrow bottom edge. Tie tamale together with shredded strips of corn husk. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of an instant pot and insert the strainer basket. Add the tamales, cover and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes, then use quick release.
- Remove from steamer and serve immediately with sour cream, salsa and cilantro, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.