Irish Boiled Dinner
This simple, hearty dish is traditionally made in New England in celebration of St. Patrick's Day.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3½ lbs. corned beef brisket
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 lb. medium red potatoes, peeled
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut in half crosswise
- 1 lb. rutabaga, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium head cabbage, cored and halved
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, add the corned beef, bay leaves, onion, and enough water to cover meat by 6 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 hours until meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and rutabaga; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cabbage; cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes until all the vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves and stir in salt and pepper.
- Remove brisket to a cutting board and slice. Using a slotted spoon, scoop out potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, and cabbage and place in a heat-proof serving bowl. Discard the onion. Pour cooking liquid through a fine-mesh strainer and pour strained liquid into a serving pitcher.