Irish Brown Bread with Cranberries
This bread is tangy and slightly sweet. It’s perfect toasted with a warm pat of butter and a cup of tea.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 5 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, baking soda, and salt. Stir well. Add the buttermilk, cranberries, and 4 tablespoons butter. Stir to combine.
- Lightly flour a flat work surface, and form the dough into a 7-by-2-inch disk. Place the dough in a nonstick Dutch oven. Drizzle with remaining butter and top with seeds.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when knocked or registers 200°F with an instant-read thermometer. Let bread cool completely in pan on a cooling rack. Store wrapped bread for up to 3 days at room temperature.