Irish Mashed Potatoes and Cabbage
You get two side dishes in one with this hearty combination,
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallions
- Place the potatoes, 3 cups water, and salt in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Drain potatoes and return to pan; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place cabbage and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes. Drain cabbage and add to potatoes with butter and milk. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and roughly mash with a fork.
- Top with scallions before serving.