These scones are lovely served with fresh fruit for breakfast, or pair with your afternoon tea for a delicious pick-me-up.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, divided
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Combine 1 cup milk and lemon juice in a small bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk mixture, olive oil, sugar, and 1 egg. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and quickly roll out to an 8" × 10" rectangle, about 1½" thick. Using a biscuit cutter or the rim of a drinking glass, cut the dough into rounds and place on an ungreased baking sheet 1" apart.
- Refrigerate scones for 15 minutes. Beat remaining egg. Remove from the refrigerator and brush tops egg wash.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and reduce the temperature to 425°F. Bake 15–18 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.