Italian Bean Soup
This delicious soup is really a meal in one for a cold winter day. Pair it with some nice crusty bread and all you need is a glass of wine.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 cups mixed dried beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 quarts fat-free vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cups torn spinach leaves
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans to pot along with vegetable broth and oregano leaves. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until beans are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, and celery. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add spinach and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.