Italian Cream Cake
This moist and delicious cake will become a famous family recipe – serve at your next gathering or special celebration!
Serves: 24Prep: 35 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic Salted Butter, softened, divided
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic Granulated Sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups Simple Truth Raw Pecan Pieces, chopped, divided
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 packages (one 8 oz., one 3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 3 3⁄4 cups Simple Truth Organic Powdered Sugar
- In large bowl, cream half of butter, plus shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to large bowl of creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in coconut and 1 cup pecans.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9” round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- To make frosting: in large bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining half of butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Press remaining pecans onto lower half of cake. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator.