Italian Hunter's Chicken
Serve this hearty dish with grated Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 lb. bone-in chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 16 oz. canned plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on high heat to almost smoking. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and fry it, skin-side down, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn over and brown the other side. Remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the onions are golden, stirring frequently. Mix in the tomato paste and white wine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes, breaking them down with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle in the rosemary and oregano and return the chicken to the pan. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check the chicken to ensure it is cooked and tender. If it is still resistant when pierced with a fork, cover and cook for another 10 minutes. The meat should easily pull away from the bone. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a serving plate; keep warm. If the sauce appears too liquid, allow it to lightly boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes to slightly thicken. Season to taste, then pour over the chicken. Serve immediately.