Using canned diced tomatoes with seasonings means there is no need to chop and seed tomatoes in this take on the popular Italian appetizer.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread
- 3⁄4 cup diced tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 16 small basil leaves
- Preheat the broiler on high heat. Spray a broiling rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut the garlic cloves in half. Rub both sides of each slice of bread with a garlic clove half.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the diced tomatoes and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the ricotta cheese over each slice of bread. Lay the bread slices out on the rack. Broil the toast on high heat for up to 2 minutes, until the cheese lightly browned. Top with the tomato mixture and garnish with basil leaves.