Meatloaf made in the slow cooker is amazingly moist and tender. The onion layer on the bottom prevents the meatloaf from sitting directly in any fat that drains off.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 5 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into rings
- 2 lbs. 94% lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. Italian herb mix
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 1 tsp. crushed rosemary
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup diced dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Spray a 6-quart oval slow cooker with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with the onion rings.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, Italian herb mix, oregano, red pepper flakes, fennel seed, rosemary, pepper, salt, diced onion, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes until well combined. Mold into a loaf shape and place on top of the sliced onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Brush over the top and visible sides of the meatloaf.
- Cook for 5 hours on low or until the meat is thoroughly cooked. Remove the meatloaf from the slow cooker and slice. Discard the onion rings and any juices on the bottom of the pan.