Italian Sausage with Fresh Mozzarella Lasagna
You can vary this basic recipe by using turkey sausage or your own favorite homemade sauce.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (16 oz.) lasagna noodles
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into ¼" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1½ lbs. Italian sausage
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1¼ cups finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Boil a large, heavy pot of water and cook lasagna noodles for 8–11 minutes until just done. Rinse, drain, coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, add chopped onion and carrot, and sauté until soft and onion is almost transparent. Add garlic and sauté a few minutes more until aromas are blended, then add crumbled Italian sausage and sauté until sausage is cooked through. Then add marinara sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Heat oven to 375°F. In a 9" × 13" greased baking dish, layer noodles, mozzarella slices, cheese-and-egg mixture, and sausage-and-tomato-sauce mixture. Repeat, top with a final layer of noodles, and then sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30–45 minutes, until lasagna is browned and bubbly.