Italian-Style French Toast
Based on an Italian dessert, this variation on French toast can be enjoyed as is or topped with jam, syrup, or sugar as desired.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup milk or cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 thick slices French bread
- Pour the milk or cream into a small saucepan and add the cinnamon stick. Heat on low. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the white and brown sugar.
- Heat the butter or margarine in a frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk and combine the milk with the egg mixture. Take a slice of bread and dip one side into the beaten egg, letting it sit for a few seconds to soak up the egg mixture. Turn the bread over and repeat with the other side. Lay the bread flat in the frying pan. Repeat with the other slice of bread.
- Cook until the bread is browned on the bottom, then turn over and repeat with the other side. Make sure the bread is cooked through and not soggy. Serve hot.