Italian Vegetable Bake
Basil and oregano are the classic Italian herbs that give unmistakable flavor to this healthy and colorful dish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cans (14 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ lb. green beans, sliced
- ½ lb. okra, cut into ½" lengths
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1½ tsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large skillet, combine tomatoes and their liquid, onion, green beans, okra, bell pepper, lemon juice, basil, and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut zucchini into long slices. Peel eggplant and cut into long slices. Spread half the tomato mixture on the bottom of a baking dish. Layer zucchini and eggplant in the baking dish and then spread the remaining tomato mixture on top. Cover with foil and bake until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes longer or until cheese melts and casserole is bubbly. Serve immediately.