Italian Vegetable Salad
Instead of tossing it away, turn stale bread into flavorful croutons and forgotten veggies into nutritious toppings for this wholesome salad.
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (6.5 oz.) Italian bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 1 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups plum tomatoes
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig oregano
- Shaved parmesan, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, toss bread with 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt. On sheet pan, spread bread cubes in single layer; bake 10 to 12 minutes, until brown and crisp.
- In large bowl, combine collard greens and kale. Drizzle with ¼ cup olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Gently massage oil into greens. Let sit 15 minutes.
- Toss in carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, radishes, red onion, beans, thyme and oregano. Top with croutons and parmesan.
- Serve with lemon wedges.