Italian Wedding Cake
This is a cake for the serious sweet tooth. Pineapple, coconut, almond, and cream cheese meld with sweet white cake batter to create a rich, traditional favorite. Consider adding
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) white cake mix
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 tubs (16 oz.) cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 2 round cake pans (8") and set aside.
- Combine cake mix, butter, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer set to low speed, beat until completely smooth and combined. Fold in coconut, pineapple, and half the pecans. Pour into cake pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely before turning onto serving platter.
- Meanwhile, reserve 2 tablespoons pecans. Finely chop remaining nuts and stir into frosting. When cake is cool, frost and top with chopped pecans.