Italian Wedding Soup
This is a delicious light soup with spinach and meatballs. When making the meatballs, use a light touch or they will become tough during cooking.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 slice gluten-free bread, crumbled
- ¾ cup 1% milk
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- ½ small onion, peeled and finely minced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 3 cups cooked small gluten-free pasta
- Place bread in a medium bowl and pour milk over it. Let sit 10 minutes, then gently squeeze out excess liquid. Put bread in a large bowl; discard milk.
- Add the ground beef, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, egg, minced onion, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes to bowl with bread. Gently toss to combine. Roll the meat mixture in your hands to create tiny meatballs.
- Add celery, chopped onion, chicken broth, meatballs, and spinach to a greased 6-quart slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add ½ cup cooked pasta to each bowl of hot soup and garnish with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.