Jack Horner’s Chocolate Cake
This moist and generous cake is intended for a truly big crowd. Extended family gatherings, church suppers, and neighborhood picnics are all great reasons to pull this recipe off the shelf.
Serves: 48Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ pints canned, pitted plums with liquid
- 2 boxes (18.25 oz.) boxes chocolate cake mix
- 12 egg whites
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 26" × 18" × 1" sheet cake pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Reserve plum liquid and purée pitted plums to get 2¼ cups. Add ¾ cup of the reserved plum liquid.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set to medium speed, mix both boxes of cake mix with plum mixture, egg whites, and oil. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into cake pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow cake to cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.