Jalapeno Macaroni and Cheese
Enjoy this exciting and tasty twist on a family-friendly classic during National Family Meal Month!
- 16 ounces package of dried elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, cubed or grated
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese, cubed or grated
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stems and seeds removed, and diced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cool water. Pour cooked macaroni into large casserole dish. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add salt, pepper, mustard and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in milk, and whisk sauce for 5-7 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 2 cups of cheese, diced jalapeño pepper and creamed corn. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Pour sauce over macaroni and stir. Sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Bake at 350°F, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.
- Tip: You can adjust the amount of jalapeño depending on your tolerance for spice. One jalapeño will add some good flavor. Two jalapeños will heat up family dinnertime!