This pesto can be tossed with some hot cooked pasta for an instant lunch, or mixed with sour cream for an easy appetizer. It also freezes well, in ice cube trays, and keeps for about 3 months when frozen.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 medium jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup grated Manchego cheese
- In small skillet, toast pumpkin seeds over medium heat until light brown and fragrant. Remove to kitchen towel to cool. In same skillet, heat vegetable oil and sauté onion and garlic until tender. Remove to blender or food processor bowl.
- Add cooled seeds, jalapeños, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, salt, and black pepper and blend or process until finely chopped. With motor running, add olive oil in a thin stream until a paste forms. Remove to bowl and stir in cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months.