Jalapeño Poppers with Black Bean Purée
This protein-rich appetizer is a better-for-you option without compromising any flavor!
Serves: 8Prep: 10 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 can (15 oz.) no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained, reserve 2 Tbsp. bean liquid
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 ounces green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chipotle spice
- 8 jalapeños
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup diced red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Cotija cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In food processor, purée black beans with lemon juice, green chilies and chipotle spice. Add 1-2 tablespoons bean liquid to achieve desired consistency.
- Slice jalapeños in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Add salt to jalapeños, if desired. Fill jalapeños with bean purée and top with red pepper.
- Bake 12-15 minutes. Sprinkle with Cotija cheese and cilantro. Serve, refrigerating any leftovers.