Save to My Recipes
This is a one-pot main dish that you can serve along with a tossed salad and garlic toast, crackers, or cornbread. Have hot sauce at the table for those who wish to add it.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 7 hours 45 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 medium ribs celery, finely diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup converted rice
- ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup clam juice or fish stock
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- ½ tsp. dried oregano, crumbled
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ lb. sea scallops, cut in half
- Add oil, sausage, onion, bell pepper, and celery to a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Stir to coat vegetables in oil. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes or until onion is transparent, stirring halfway through. Stir in garlic and rice.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and stir into the other ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, clam juice or fish stock, water or chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, oregano, sugar, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Stir to mix. Reduce the heat setting to low, cover, and cook for 6 hours or until rice is tender.
- Increase heat setting to high. Stir in shrimp and scallops. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until shrimp are pink and scallops are opaque. Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.