Japanese Sushi Rice
Also known as sticky rice, this rice is a preparation used in making sushi rolls, hand-formed sushi, and scattered sushi.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup short-grain sushi rice
- 1¼ cups cold water
- 2 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
- Rinse the rice in cold water several times until the water runs clear, then drain it.
- Put it in a saucepan with water over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to low, and set the timer for 20 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the lid on 10 more minutes.
- Turn the rice out into a large wooden or glass bowl. Sprinkle the rice vinegar over it and stir it in with a wooden spoon, making slashing motions through the rice. Fan the rice from time to time as it gets turned over. Do not refrigerate, let cool naturally. It will keep at cool room temperature for 4 to 6 hours for making sushi.