Japanese Udon Noodles
Expect these noodles to be chewy with a pleasant nuttiness to the flavor. Substituting
Serves: 6Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 3 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 tsp. plus 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, combine 2 teaspoons salt and water. Place the flour on the work surface and make a well in the center. Pour the water and salt into the well. Incorporate the flour into the water with your fingers until the dough forms a ball. Knead for about 10 minutes. Place the dough in a bowl, cover tightly, and let stand for 3 hours.
- Divide dough in half and roll each half into sheets, by hand or using a pasta machine, ⅛ to ¼ inch thick, then cut into linguini-size noodles.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the noodles slowly, stirring to separate and to keep any from sticking to the bottom. Boil 3 minutes or until al dente. Drain.