This is a thin, crunchy cornmeal flatbread or pancake that some say got its name from journey cake, referring to a food that could be carried by travelers.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Combine cornmeal and salt in a bowl.
- Microwave the milk for 12 seconds, just to take the chill off if it is cold from the refrigerator.
- Add the milk and melted butter to the cornmeal and salt. Stir and let rest about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick griddle or a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet.
- Spray the griddle or skillet with nonstick cooking spray and ladle 1 ounce of batter per cake onto it. Fry them 2 minutes per side. Serve hot.