Jumbo Bakery-Style Muffins
Subtly sweet, these muffins are full of plump berries, with just a hint of lemon. Use whichever berries you like best, from fresh blueberries to raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, even pitted cherries.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. plus 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. sodium-free baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin or line with disposable liners.
- First make the crumb topping. Combine the brown sugar, 1 1⁄2 all-purpose flour, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Cut the butter in with your hands, processing until it has the consistency of wet sand. Set aside.
- To make the batter, place 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, white-whole wheat flour, baking powder, and sugar into a large mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Add the egg white, milk, oil, and extracts and mix just until moist. Gently fold in the berries, stirring just until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2⁄3 full, then top with the crumb mixture, dividing evenly between the cups.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and gently move muffins to a wire rack to cool fully.