Jumbo Beer-Battered Onion Rings
Crispy onion rings go equally as well with a burger or a steak, but they also are delicious all on their own.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) beer
- 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 3 1⁄2 cups peanut oil, divided
- 3 cups cornstarch, divided
- 2 large Spanish or Bermuda onions, peeled
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Whisk together beer, eggs, 1⁄2 cup oil, and 2 cups cornstarch until it makes a thick batter. Cut onions into slices 1 inch thick; separate into rings.
- Heat remaining 3 cups oil to 360°F in a medium saucepan. Dredge the onion rings in remaining 1 cup cornstarch, dip into the batter, and fry. Do not overcrowd the pot. Add rings one by one to the pot, making sure the first has started to sizzle before adding the next (this prevents them from sticking together).
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt before serving.