Jumbo Beer-Battered Onion Rings
Crispy onion rings go equally as well with a burger or a steak, but they also are delicious all on their own.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) beer
- 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup peanut oil
- 2 cups cornstarch, plus extra for dredging
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 very large Spanish or Bermuda onions, peeled
- 3 cups peanut oil
- Whisk together the beer, eggs, ½ cup oil, cornstarch, and salt until it makes a thick batter. Cut the onions into 1" thick slices; separate into rings. Heat the fry oil to 360°F in a medium saucepan. Dredge the onion rings in cornstarch, dip into the batter, and fry. Do not overcrowd the pot. Add rings one by one to the pot, making sure the first has started to sizzle before adding the next (this prevents them from sticking together).
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt before serving.