No mystery here. The name of this Dutch fondue dish means “cheese dip.” For variety, stir in smoked Gouda or a mixture of Gouda and Edam cheeses.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups milk
- 12 oz. Gouda cheese, diced
- 1½ Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. brandy
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- White pepper to taste
- Whole-wheat or rye bread cubes
- Bring milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cheese in 4 batches, stirring in a figure-eight motion. Wait until each batch is melted before adding more cheese.
- Combine cornstarch and brandy, stirring until smooth. Add to cheese mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly. Add nutmeg and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a fondue pot and place over heating source. Serve with bread cubes for dipping.