Kabocha Squash and Parsnip Purée
Enjoy this soup when late summer weather becomes cool. Different versions of this soup can be made using various winter squash: butternut, buttercup, acorn, or carnival. Peel squash skins if they are tough.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 4 cups spring water
- 3 cups kabocha squash, cubed
- 1 cup parsnips, diced
- 1 piece (3 inches) wakame, soaked
- 4 tsp. sweet white miso
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- In a soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in oil over medium heat.
- Add water, squash, parsnips, and wakame. Bring to boil, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Season with sweet white miso. Purée in a food mill or blender. Return soup to pot. Simmer, covered, 3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped dill.