Kakavia (Fish Soup)
Feel free to add some shrimp, scallops, or any other favorite seafood to this recipe for variation.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. chopped dill
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. fresh cod, cut into pieces
- 2 lbs. fresh grey mullet, deboned and cut into pieces
- 1 lb. mussels, cleaned and bearded
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Put 6 pints water in large pot; bring to a boil. Add onions, potatoes, carrots, dill, salt, and pepper; cover and boil 30 minutes.
- Add fish, mussels, and parsley; boil another 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add olive oil, scallions, and lemon juice. Simmer 5 minutes. Serve hot.