Kalamarakia (Pan-Fried Calamari Rings)
Make sure not to overcook the calamari rings; they will become rubbery if you leave them in the oil too long.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. corn flour
- 1 package (1 lb.) frozen calamari, defrosted
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Put flour and corn flour in clear plastic bag; shake to mix thoroughly. Add calamari; shake in flour to ensure a complete coating.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add rings and tenticles to oil one by one in a clockwise fashion until pan is full. Keep an eye on the time—at the 2½ minute mark, start removing calamari in clockwise order from your starting point in the pan.
- Place cooked calamari on paper towels to drain until all calamari has been cooked. Serve immediately. Sprinkle the fried calamari with lemon juice.