Kale and Sausage Soup with Gnocchi
This Italian inspired soup uses potato gnocchi instead of cubed potatoes. The gnocchi will become soft and fluffy, like dumplings, making this soup very comforting.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped kale
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (16 oz) potato gnocchi
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground fennel
- ¼ tsp. oregano
- Heat a 6- or 8-quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes. Add the onion and kale cook until tender, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle mixture with flour and cook for 2 minutes, then slowly stir in the chicken broth and water, stirring constantly.
- Bring the soup to a boil and cook until the soup has thickened, about 5 minutes, then add the gnocchi and cook until the gnocchi float, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream. Season with salt, pepper, fennel, and oregano. Serve hot.