Kale Stuffed Manicotti
Here is a healthy version of the classic Italian dish. Spinach, Swiss chard, or another dark leafy green may be substituted for the kale.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (8 oz.) dried manicotti
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 7 cups chopped kale
- 1 lb. firm tofu, drained
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 3 cups no-salt-added pasta sauce
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Get out a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Cook manicotti according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, assemble filling. In a stockpot over medium heat, place onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add kale and cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Remove pot from heat and transfer contents to a food processor. Add tofu and seasonings and pulse two or three times to combine.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce into the bottom of the baking pan. Fill manicotti and arrange in the pan. Pour remaining pasta sauce over the manicotti and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil, place on middle rack in oven, and bake until hot and bubbly, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.