Kale Stuffed with Barley
Never use the center stalk of the kale in any recipe. It is too tough to eat.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups pearl barley
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom seeds
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head kale, stemmed
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the leek for approximately 1 minute. Add the barley and sunflower seeds; toss for 1 minute. Add the stock, thyme, and spices; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the barley is cooked.
- Meanwhile, steam the kale until just pliable.
- Lay out the steamed kale leaves, spoon on the barley mixture, and fold into rolls. Serve either at room temperature or heated slightly in a 375°F oven.