Kale with Garlic and Thyme
Antioxidant-rich, dark leafy greens like kale are nutritional powerhouses loaded with calcium, beta carotene, and vitamin C. They’re also high in fiber and phytochemicals.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. kale
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Add the kale and cook for 10 minutes until it has lost its waxy coating and the leaves are tender. Transfer to a colander to drain, reserving about ½ cup of the cooking liquid. Roughly chop the kale.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Add the onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, and thyme. Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and starting to brown around the edges.
- Splash in the sherry; cook for 5 minutes until all alcohol has evaporated. Add back the kale and reserved liquid; cook 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.