Karelian Hot Pot (Karjalanpaisti)
Considered by many to be the national dish of Finland, Karelian Hot Pot proves that frugality is indeed a virtue—after slow and steady simmering, cheap cuts of meat become melt-in-your-mouth tender. Great with lingonberry jam.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 lb. lamb stew meat, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 lb. boneless pork, cut into 1" cubes
- 3 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. ground allspice
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- In a large bowl, combine meats and season with salt and allspice.
- In a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker, layer meat mixture with onions. Pour water over meat and onions. Add more water, as needed, to completely cover meat and onions. Cover and cook on low heat for 6–8 hours.
- Serve over mashed potatoes. Garnish with a sprinkling of dried oregano.