Kentucky’s Best Bourbon and Hickory Grilled Turkey
The smaller the turkey, the juicier it will be. Figure on buying
Serves: 20Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 13 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup salt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 turkey (10 lbs.)
- 4 cups presoaked wood chips
- 5 lbs. wood chunks
- Mix the bourbon, maple syrup, salt, and cider vinegar together. Add the turkey and then cover with water. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the turkey and discard all but 1 quart of the marinade. Put the quart of marinade in a saucepan on the stove and simmer to reduce to 2 cups for use as a basting liquid.
- Prepare grill with banked coals on one side, a water pan in the empty space, and presoaked chips for smoking.
- Smoke the turkey over water pan for 3 hours, adding water as needed, with plenty of wood. After smoking, place in a 350°F oven, basting frequently, for an additional 2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165°F at the thickest part of the bird.